CA Vehicle Code 34506 VC
VC 34506 – Failure to Comply with CHP Rules
Failure to Comply with CHP Rules – Table of Contents
What is the definition of failure to comply under California Vehicle Code 34506 VC?
It is a misdemeanor to fail to comply with any rule or regulation adopted by the Department of the California Highway Patrol pursuant to California Vehicle Code 34501, California Vehicle Code 34501.5, California Vehicle Code 34508, or California Vehicle Code 34513.
What subjects of are covered by California Vehicle Code 34501, California Vehicle Code 34501.5, California Vehicle Code 34508, and California Vehicle Code 34513?
Examples of subject matter under the above statutes are: the regulation and operation concerning the hours worked by commercial drivers, servicing, and maintenance of all commercial vehicles (California Vehicle Code CVC Section 34501), the regulation and operation of school buses transporting children (California Vehicle Code CVC Section 34501.5), the regulation of the color, design and construction of school buses (California Vehicle Code CVC Section 34508)iv, the regulation, maintenance and operation of tour buses (California Vehicle Code CVC Section 50413).
What are the penalties associated with a conviction of California Vehicle Code 34506 VC?
It is a misdemeanor for a failure to comply with California Vehicle Code 34506 VC. Penalties include confinement up to six months in jail, a fine of up to $1000 dollars; and points on your driving record administered by the California Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV)
What is the significance of points on my driving record, where do they come from?
The California Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) uses a point system to track driving negligence. If a driver accumulates enough points their personal and or commercial driving privileges will be revoked or suspended by the DMV.
What are examples of a violation of California Vehicle Code 34506 VC?
- A school bus driver, after dropping off his passengers is pulled over for driving under the influence of alcohol.
- A costal bus driver full of tourists is observed by a CHP officer speeding over a rail road track before a train cross is pulled over as a result.
- An oil ridge driver is pulled over for a container leaking crude oil on the highway.
- A tour bus is pulled over for driving with tires below the PSA standards.
Are Log Book apart of what is covered under California Vehicle Code 34506 VC?
Yes. Log books or Electronic Logging Devices (ELD) are used to monitor the hours-of-service commercial drivers are on the road. They monitor engine performance to quantify safe driving. These devices are regulated by The Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA). The Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) is a division of the Department of Transportation (DOT) which ensures safety regulations for Commercial Vehicles.
Are rest-stops regulated by California Vehicle Code 34506 VC?
Electronic Logging Devices (ELD) monitor Hours of Service (HOS). The significance is to assess the sleeping patterns of commercial drivers to prevent accidents on the road. A serious topic of discussion is unlawful rest stops in residential areas. Stopping on the side of the road, highway or in a neighborhood in a commercial can warrant a violation California Vehicle Code 22507.
All commercial drivers must stop at lawful resting place designated by the Department of Transportation (DOT). Lawful resting stops ensure that hazardous material (HazMat) onboard commercial vehicles which contain containments are not exposed for long periods to residential areas.
What kinds of probationary relief can be offered for a violation of California Vehicle Code 34506 VC?
- Community Service.
- Stipulations for Retraining with HR
- Stipulations for voluntary suspension from work.
- Stipulation of suspension of commercial license.
What examples of common defenses against a charge for violating California Vehicle Code 34506 VC?
- Necessity- I violated the statute to protect myself, family or loved ones from harm.
- Duress- I was coerced into violating the statute to avoid serious bodily harm by another.
- Mistake in Law- The vehicle stopped was not operating for commercial use, and or profit and I do not have a commercial driver’s license.
If you are charged with Failure to Comply with CHP Rules in the California Vehicle Code, especially California Vehicle Code 34506 VC call The Esfandi Law Group. Tour Bus Managers, School Bus Drivers, and Big Rig Truck Drivers are encouraged contact Los Angeles criminal defense attorney Seppi Esfandi.
If you are charged with tampering or injuring a vehicle under Vehicle Code 10852 VC, call The Esfandi Law Group.
Call Us: 310-274-6529
How to Win Your Case
We cannot stress enough that you read, understand and follow these 10 basic rules if you are criminally charged or under investigation:
- Don’t ever talk to the police
- Do not discuss your case with anyone
- Everything you tell your lawyer is confidential
- Tell police you need to contact your attorney
- Never consent to any search by the police
- If the police knock on your door, don't answer!
- Realize the consequences of a criminal conviction
- Your lawyer (not you) will contact any witnesses
- Information on your cell phone is evidence
- Early Intervention is the key