Los Angeles DUI Defense Attorney
Need a Free Consultation? CALL NOW: 310-274-6529
Seppi Esfandi has obtained favorable and positive outcomes in a wide range of California DUI Cases. He’s a Los Angeles defense attorney that’s dedicated and caring. At Esfandi Law Group, we carefully examine every DUI case to identify any and all substantive and procedural weaknesses and challenges. With careful examination of all the possible weaknesses and challenges, Seppi utilizes and formulates a vigorous, personalized, and AFFORDABLE representation to accomplish the best possible outcome for all his clients. Prosecution is often a tedious and straining process for the accused.
However, as a 2010 Certified Criminal Law Specialist, Mr. Esfandi is very informed and familiar with the process and will provide hands-on representation at every point in the proceeding.
Affordable DUI Lawyer in Los Angeles
The offense of driving under the influence typically refers to alcohol intoxication. However, alcohol is only one of the countless substances that can impair one’s ability to operate a motor vehicle safely. Driving under the influence of drugs, including prescription medication and/or illegal drugs, can also result in DUI charges. Different substances can impact a driver in a multitude of ways, such as one’s judgment, alertness, concentration, motor skills, etc. Marijuana, ecstasy, LSD, Crack or virtually any recreational drug may affect one’s driving ability according to California law.
With alcohol consumption, a drunk driver’s level of intoxication can be determined by a measurement of blood alcohol concentration. Since Breathalyzer tests are quite accurate, readings of 0.08% or higher often result in a guilty verdict or conviction of the charges. Only take the blood test.
For drivers suspected of drug-impaired driving, drug testing screens are typically performed in laboratories so that the results can be admissible in evidence during the trial. Chemical tests performed usually include blood or urine.
Chemical testing is a key issue. Accused drunk drivers often fear that if the test results are above the legal limit, they are inevitably guilty. However, there are many challenges to the validity of blood, breath, and urine tests. An experienced attorney, such as Seppi Esfandi, has an arsenal of proven strategies to attack the results of chemical tests.
What to Expect When Facing a DUI in Los Angeles
Driving under the influence is not uncommon. Many people get behind a motor vehicle, assuming they are in perfect condition to drive. However, the law does not always agree. California takes DUI cases very seriously and has some of the harshest penalties in the nation. The maximum legal Blood Alcohol concentration (BAC), while operating a motor vehicle, is 0.08%. If you exceed this number and are pulled over, you will be arrested and face serious consequences. Luckily, an experienced DUI attorney can help you avoid the steep penalties involved with a DUI. Here is an overview of what to expect:
- Arrest: After 30 days of your arrest, your license will be suspended unless you request a hearing with the DMV to try to intervene.
- Arraignment: You will face a criminal proceeding that will begin with an arraignment, in which the charges against you will be read to you. You will then enter your plea of “guilty” or “not guilty”. However, you should never plead guilty unless an attorney advises you to do so. Your attorney will then attempt to negotiate a favorable outcome, without needing to go to trial.
- Pre-trial and Trial: During a pre-trial phase, the prosecution shares all the evidence with your attorney. An experienced attorney will carefully examine this evidence to find all substantive and procedural weaknesses, undermining the testimony of the arresting officer. These strategies can be used to negotiate a plea bargain, or during a trial to win your case.
- Conviction: If you are convicted, either at a trial or by accepting the plea bargain, the judge will issue a sentence. Even in this phase, your attorney will formulate a strategy to obtain the lightest sentence possible.
Will I Lose My Driver’s License?
If convicted, you will lose your license for a period of time. There are three main kinds of driver’s license suspensions and this includes:
- Administrative Suspension: After 30 days of your arrest, your license will automatically be suspended. This process can be intervened by requesting a DMV hearing within 10 days of your arrest. Your chances of success will increase with the presence of an experienced attorney.
- Full Suspension: If you are convicted of a DUI, your driver’s license could be revoked. During this period of suspension, you cannot operate a motor vehicle.
- License Restriction: If your license is restricted, you are only allowed to drive to/from certain places, such as work, doctor appointments, court appearances, etc.
These penalties are difficult to deal with. It is vital to choose an experienced and well-informed Los Angeles criminal defense attorney to assist in your case. Your lawyer can help you in a multitude of ways. This includes stopping the administrative suspension, making sure you understand the requirements needed to get your license reinstated, etc.
We’re Here to Help
Here are three things a good defense attorney can do:
- Have them dropped – Now, while this is not easy to do, in some cases, your defense lawyer may be able to get your DUI charges dropped before you even get to trial. They make this possible by getting key evidence thrown out. Since the burden of proof falls on the prosecutor, if the key evidence is thrown out, there is no case.
- Have them dismissed – Your DUI defense attorney can get the case dismissed by finding flaws the prosecutor has during the trial. If your lawyer can discredit the evidence enough, they can ask the judge to dismiss the case.
- Have them reduced – While this is usually the last resort for your lawyer, they can help you negotiate a bargain that will help get your charges reduced.
Have you been wrongly accused of a crime, or need to tell your side of the story? Our experienced and affordable attorneys will be sure to fight for your innocence and achieve the desired results. The sooner you call us the higher your chances are to win your case.
Need a Criminal Defense Attorney? CALL NOW: 310-274-6529
Seppi Esfandi is an Expert Criminal Defense Attorney who has over 20 years of practice defending a variety of criminal cases.
How to Win Your Case
We cannot stress enough that you read, understand and follow these 10 basic rules if you are criminally charged or under investigation:
- Don’t ever talk to the police
- Do not discuss your case with anyone
- Everything you tell your lawyer is confidential
- Tell police you need to contact your attorney
- Never consent to any search by the police
- If the police knock on your door, don't answer!
- Realize the consequences of a criminal conviction
- Your lawyer (not you) will contact any witnesses
- Information on your cell phone is evidence
- Early Intervention is the key